Hillsdale Board of Education Mission Statement
Dedicated to charting a course for today and tomorrow’s children, the Hillsdale School District’s mission is to empower all students with an exceptional educational foundation that actualizes their unique potential.
To provide an exceptional educational foundation, the board, in active collaboration with the staff, the family and the community, and using a clear system of accountability, will provide the tools to ensure that our students and staff shall:
- Work cooperatively in a safe, supportive and challenging learning environment that addresses individual learning needs;
- Apply problem-solving strategies and critical thinking skills learned through written, oral, technological and experimental application in and out of the classroom;
- Practice good citizenship by fostering respect for one’s self and others through a better understanding of the needs of a diverse society;
- Fully integrate technology into learning experiences using creative and effective teaching techniques;
- Appreciate, preserve and promote the quality and professionalism of the staff, administration and Board of Education.
In order to achieve educational goals for children, the Board of Education and the Borough of Hillsdale will strive to implement the following educational methods;
- Insure that all instruction bears relevancy to the present or future needs and interests of students.
- Insure that students have opportunities consistent with their ages to determine the nature of their educational experiences.
- Insure that specialized and individual kinds of educational experiences are available for meeting the particular needs of students.
- Insure that teachers are provided the opportunities to participate in planning curricula, procedures and regulations of the school district.
- Insure that the resources available for education are used with maximum efficiency.
- Insure that instructional, administrative and support staffs are of high quality in every respect.
- Insure constructive cooperative among parents, teachers and community groups.
Educational Outcome Goals
As a base for its educational program and in accordance with the requirements of the State, the Board of Education of the District of Hillsdale, following consultation with teaching staff members, parents and other residents of this district, adopts the following educational outcome goals for every pupil in this district.
- Develop a desire for learning now and in the future.
- Develop skills in mathematics, reading, writing, speaking and listening.
- Gain in fundamental education in physical and biological sciences, social sciences and history.
- Learn how to obtain, examine and use information to think critically and solve problems.
- Develop good character and self-esteem.
- Develop pride in work and feeling of self worth.
- Learn to respect and get along with people with whom we work and live.
- Learn how to be a good citizen by understanding and practicing democratic ideas and ideals.
- Understand and practice the concepts of health and safety.
- Appreciate culture and beauty in the world.
- Understand and practice the skills of family living.
- Learn how to respect diverse cultures and beliefs and to get along with people who think, dress and act differently.
- Learn about and try to understand the changes that take place in the world.
- Learn how to be a good manager of time, money, property and resources.
- Understand how to use leisure time for personal enhancement.