Counseling1. 8th Grade Leadership Team
2. Big Brother/Big Sister Program
- Upper grade students will help younger students become acquainted as new students at George White. They will run 5th & 6th Grade Summer Orientation days. They will also help prepare students and assist with other 5th grade activities.
- Leadership Team students participate in assemblies and activities that promote a drug-free life. They create posters, run Red Ribbon Week’s door decorating contest, and prepare activities for other grades that present alternatives to drug/alcohol use.
- Help facilitate classroom lessons & visit Smith & Meadowbrook Schools
- Through the Big Brother/ Big Sister Program, George White Middle School pairs small groups of current 5th graders with caring 7th graders. This structure works to ensure that all 5th graders feel accepted, befriended, informed, and connected to George White Middle School to ensure a smooth and successful middle school experience.
- The “Bigs” serve as positive role models for students guiding them towards academic and social success. The ‘Bigs’ are here to provide support, advice, encouragement, and even friendship to the younger ‘Littles.’ In turn, ‘Bigs’ benefit because they are building their own confidence, self-esteem, and leadership skills. With the Big Brother/ Big Sister Program, 5th graders can ask their older “Sibling” about activities and will receive encouragement to join in where their interests and talents lie thereby fostering a deeper connection to both the school and to their peers.
- George White Middle School’s stated goal is: “Dedicated to charting a course of success for today’s and tomorrow’s children, the Hillsdale School District’s mission is to empower all students with an exceptional educational foundation that actualizes their unique potential.” With the addition of this program to the school, George White Middle School is one step closer to achieving this aim.
Whenever class time is missed due to meetings of any of these groups, students are required to make-up any/all class work. No exceptions!